Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Thoughts on the Olympic Lifts...

I've decided to put my military PT articles on hold for a short time. Right now, I'm planning on an article - possibly a series of articles (it just depends on how much it takes to cover what I want to say) - on Olympic Lifting.

If you have any thoughts on Olympic Lifting - barbell vs. dumbbell vs. kettlebell, traditional vs. power versions, oly lifts vs powerlifts, etc. - please leave a comment.

In that same vein, if you have anything you'd like me to cover, let me know that as well.

The articles will be published over at MMA Weekly, but don't worry - I'll let you know here when they're ready! ;-)

Oh - and stay tuned to MMA Weekly in the next couple days. I interviewed Jonathan Helwig about his win at CFFC IV, his preparation for the fight, his MMA future, and more. It should be up in the next couple days...

Wiggy

PS - In case you're wondering how to incorporate Olympic Lifting into your own workouts, check out Programs #1, #2, and #6 in Working Class Fitness - The Programs. They're perfect for your mma training, as well as making just more athletic.

4 comments:

Chris said...

My thoughts on hte Olympic Lifts:

Think about what they do - speed, lots of posterior chain, power, funcitonal strength.

now think about how hard they are to learn....without a decent coach it is pretty hard to learn to snatch properly or to clean neatly. Even a power clean or power snatch can be tough to learn

Solution - go for the benefits without all the technical difficulties, i.e. dumbell swings, dumbell snatch (power snatch really), thrusters, kettlebell work, high pulls....

Most peopel do not have the time or the coachin to learn the O lifts, but I think they can get teh benefits from other similar moves....

Wiggy said...

Thanks for your comments chris - I appreciate it!

Who else?

Wiggy

Anonymous said...

Several of the fairly well respected coaches I am familiar with have both said, in person at seminars and online in various articles that learning the power versions of the olympic lifts is not that difficult.

I would also add that for learning these from a coach would be helpful and I relate it to learning martial arts. It does take practice and time and energy but it does have the payoff of getting faster and more explosive.

If someone really doesn't have the time so be it, but all too often I hear guys saying they don't have the time to learn them. Then these same guys go off to do their 2-hour bodybuilding workout that will include 9 or 10 sets of leg extensions and leg curls. But they don't have "time" for learning oly lifts.

Andy

Chris said...

Ok Andy the power versions are easier to learn, but it is rare to see someone do a decent powerclean in many gyms.