Monday, March 23, 2009

Stay True to Yourself...

Hey y'all,

This is gonna be little different than the stuff I
generally post. But, it will be one of the most
helpful and beneficial emails I've ever sent.

I used to really be into chopper-styled motorcycles...
especially the custom ones.

Like most other guys, I had particular types/styles of
bikes I liked, and there were certain guys who built
bikes I really liked.

One of those guys was "Indian Larry".

Indian Larry was a bike builder, stuntman, and overall
showman. He was 'old-school' - performing in the
days of traveling sideshows and such. A 'carnie' if
you will.

Larry was one of those guys that lived his life truly one
day at a time - each day being to its fullest. And though
I'm sure he made mistakes - just like we all do - he seemed
to always be at peace, and was always in a good mood...
the kind that always found passion in life.

You know the kind of guy that when you meet him, you
walk away saying to yourself, "Man, I wish I was a little
more like that guy..."? Well, Indian Larry was 'that guy'.

A few years ago, mechanics in general became very
popular - esp on TV. Shows about building bikes, cars,
and such became commonplace on several TV channels.

Though many guys hit it 'big' with this, Indian Larry being
one of them, it never really seemed to go to his head.

I remember watching an interview with him, and he was
asked that if he could give one piece of advice to a young
builder, just trying to get into the bike business, what would
he tell him? Indian Larry's advice was (to paraphrase) to
follow your heart and do what you love to do. If stay true
to yourself, the money will eventually follow.

In 2004, Indian Larry died doing what he loved to do - performing
stunts on his bike. He was at a show here in North Carolina,
and while standing on his bike, he crashed. Not wearing a
helmet, Larry suffered fatal injuries.

Shortly before this, Indian Larry had filmed yet another TV
show, and during it he gave the last interview of his life.

There was part of that interview where he said something that,
while he might not have intended so, was one of the most
profound things I've ever heard. I know I'm not alone in saying
these words changed my life.

He said:

"I feel you should be doing exactly what you want to do in life,
how you want to do it, when you want to do it. Otherwise you
are wasting your life and wasting the talents that were given to you.
Life is like a real precious short gift."

Now, this doesn't mean you can shirk your responsibilities or
anything like that. But, I know that's not what Larry meant.

For Larry, it was staying true to yourself...

At some point today, do some of what you want to do...not because
you're lazy, don't want to work, or don't want to tend to responsibilities...

...but because it's who you are...what you are...what you stand for...

...because you're staying true to yourself.

RIP Larry - you'll always be remembered.

Train Hard, Rest Hard, Play Hard-
Matt "Wiggy" Wiggins
http://www.workingclassfitness.com

No comments: