Monday, April 06, 2009

I'm getting rid of your EXCUSES

Hey y'all,

Sorry about the rant last time - didn't mean to "go off" like I ended up doing.

But, I must've hit a chord with y'all - b/c I think I received more feedback on that one email than I have on anything I've EVER sent out.

(Guess I'm not the only one who is sick of people bitching and moaning while they sit on their ass and eat twinkies.)

Some of y'all might not have like the rant...and maybe that's b/c it all sounded a little too familiar. Maybe it sounded like I was talking about you? Maybe you're
one of the guys who can "talk the talk" but never even tries to "walk the walk". But, it's Ok (at least YOU think it is), b/c you have 'a really good reason'. Right?

Uhhhhhh....NO.

I'm about to take any and all excuses you think you can come up with away from you. By the time you're done reading this, if you don't feel like a cad for making excuses
for not working out, then you might as well as quit reading my emails - b/c I can't help you.

I wanna tell you about a buddy of mine - Duane Stevenson. Duane is from Houston, TX, and coaches not only MMA, but submission grappling, and also puts together his own cross-training workouts for fighters. Duane has competed in submission grappling himself, has his own gym, and is putting together his own fight team.

So what makes Duane so special? What makes his case any different than anybody coach who does the same thing?

Maybe you've seen Duane posting around some of the MMA message boards - he goes by the screen-name "CrutchMaster".

You see, Duane is disabled. When he was only 3 years old, he had tumor in his spine. This affected his lower body, and now only has 70% use of his legs. He has to use crutches full-time...hence his nickname of CrutchMaster.

Most guys in Duane's situation would just accept defeat, and concede the fact that there are some things that they just won't be able to do.

Not Duane.

I remember when I first met Duane - it was some 5 years ago or more. Duane was looking for some workout advice, and he hit me up.

The thing that I always admired about Duane was that he never thought he couldn't get better. Nothing was off-limits for him.

In the past, other trainers had told him to stay away from trying to train his legs due to his condition. That wasn't good enough for Duane.

Together, we put together a program where he was not only working his legs, but was doing whatever it took to do it.

For you and I, hill sprints means great conditioning. For Duane, it was just about climbing the stairs in his house. He couldn't do much at a time, but by the end of the day, it was 20+ trips.

For your and I, dragging a weighted sled or pushing a car is something we see in strongman events or we do for metabolic conditioning. For Duane, it was about just trying to build some semblance of strength. And unlike you and I, he couldn't
walk with his sled. For him, he was literally crawling on his hands and knees like a baby. He didn't care how it looked or that nobody else was doing it - he just cared about getting stronger, and getting in better shape.

For Duane, it was about being better at the end of the day than you were when it began.

And little by little, my buddy the CrutchMaster gets better - each and every day.

How much better? Well, his story has been featured in fitness magazines, TapouT magazine, and Duane is even having a documentary made about him and what he's been able to accomplish.

And this guy can't even walk without help.

Tell me - what's YOUR reason for not getting anything done today?

If you don't have one (and you probably don't...and even if you do, it's probably not a very good one), but need a shove in the right direction for what workouts to do, then check out the deal I've got going here - http://tinyurl.com/d67noo

Train Hard, Rest Hard, Play Hard-
Matt "Wiggy" Wiggins
http://www.workingclassfitness.com

No comments: