Thursday, January 10, 2008

Back in Iraq + Yesterday's Workout

First of all, I hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year. I had an absolute BLAST at home back in the States - it was the best R&R I've ever had. But alas, all good things must come to an end, and now I'm back at my govt. contractor job in Iraq. It's Ok, though - I waited a while to take my first R&R, so I get to take my next one pretty quick. I'll be back in the States in just 55 more days...WOO-HOO!!!!

Now let's get to important stuff...yesterday's workout.

DB Clean & Press - 8 sets of 6 reps (each side)

I did a full clean and press with each rep. Due to past shoulder issues, I keep my palms in a nuetral position throughout the entire rep. I tried to really snap the hips with each clean - sometimes the DB would come up so fast it's almost hit me in the chin! Good stuff! Then I’d pop the DB up overhead with just a slight dip – almost like half of a push-press.

I rested only about 45-50 secs between each set. This workout felt real good – the next one I’ll probably amp it up a notch and do it in “1 Left, 1 Right” fashion (keep your eyes peeled to MMA Weekly for a short article about “1 Left, 1 Right”).

After that, it was a short 5 mins jog to cool down.

All in all, a great workout – strength, strength/cardiovascular/muscular endurance, work capacity, and power all worked hard – and done in roughly 20 mins. Can’t beat it.

No comments: